No Wembley & No TV

(22-02-2024, 02:35 PM)SHANDY LOVE MACHINE Wrote:  Looking at the Clarkopedia tells you that yes we owned the ground and played in mango and lime. Then Eastbury Homes bought into the club for a pickled egg and a packet of pork scratchings and their Chairman Heff Jester persuaded the board to adopt the company red and white logo. Before building houses on the land and moving us to a piece of gash land close to a gas holder.
Have you been looking at the Clark’s annals again, Shandy?

(22-02-2024, 05:07 PM)T-End is in sight Wrote:  Have you been looking at the Clark’s annals again, Shandy?

I thought I recognised the Doctor.

(22-02-2024, 12:39 PM)MeadowClark Wrote:  We moved to Horton Road in 1964, so that lines up, we didn't change to yellow until 1982 though.

Apologies - senior moment. In my defence I wasn't seriously following City for a lot of that time, wasn't even in this country for some of it.

(22-02-2024, 02:35 PM)SHANDY LOVE MACHINE Wrote:  Looking at the Clarkopedia tells you that yes we owned the ground and played in mango and lime. Then Eastbury Homes bought into the club for a pickled egg and a packet of pork scratchings and their Chairman Heff Jester persuaded the board to adopt the company red and white logo. Before building houses on the land and moving us to a piece of gash land close to a gas holder.
So, with respect to the above ravings...to reiterate my original question... I'm assuming the move from Longlevens to Horton Road was because of housing demand? Did we own the Longlevens ground? If so, were we paid for it? Or did it belong to another body (City council?) and we were the tenants and had to move? Does anyone actually know? 

I believe we owned it, can't believe we'd have purchased Horton Road without cash from the sale of Longlevans. I believe Alfred Hurran( local businessman) was a big part in the club through the 50s I'm sure Tim can fill in the details of this better than myself.

(22-02-2024, 09:57 PM)Paul Wrote:  So, with respect to the above ravings...to reiterate my original question... I'm assuming the move from Longlevens to Horton Road was because of housing demand? Did we own the Longlevens ground? If so, were we paid for it? Or did it belong to another body (City council?) and we were the tenants and had to move? Does anyone actually know? 
It was located in the area between the Horsbere Brook and Nine Elms Road - Manor Park nowadays.

Here it is.

(22-02-2024, 10:14 PM)OldDirtyGlasses Wrote:  It was located in the area between the Horsbere Brook and Nine Elms Road - Manor Park nowadays.
I can recall going to the greyhound track in the very late 60s/early 70s with my dad. The greyhound track would have been opposite what was the football stadium? (stadium would have been gone by the late 60s).

(20-02-2024, 07:40 PM)Si Robin Wrote:  By my reckoning we have been live on TV 28 times.  The first was the FA Trophy Final in 1998 and the most recent was in February 2023 in the Papa John's Trophy semi-final.

Of the 28, 18 have been on Sky, 1 was ITV Sport Channel, 2 were ESPN, 5 were BT Sport and 2 were BBC.

We were also the main highlight game on Sportsnight in 1996 and the main FA Cup 1st round highlight game on Match of the Day in 1998

If the site I've just read is correct, FGR have been on live TV 25 times. 12 on BT Sport, 10 times on the Sky and 3 on the BBC.

The PJT Semi Final is one of the few times my team have won on TV. Shame we never turned up in the Final.

(22-02-2024, 10:38 PM)Paul Wrote:  I can recall going to the greyhound track in the very late 60s/early 70s with my dad. The greyhound track would have been opposite what was the football stadium? (stadium would have been gone by the late 60s).

There's a pub there now, can't remember what it's called.

Great photo Kitto

10 out of 10 for footballing zen