FGR

(30-04-2024, 08:29 AM)Si Robin Wrote:  You post that description as if it's a bad thing....
Apologies - he also wrote C********m is a nasty, Ill-looking place, half clown and half cockney. The latter part probably still rings true. Admittedly some of his other accounts are offensive to 21st century sensibilities but he was a man of his time being involved in politics both here and in the USA. He clearly had it in for C********m and had Gloucester City existed in the early 19th century I'm sure he'd have been leading the chorus on the T-End  Smile

In my opinion if the rugby club had never existed there is an excellent chance we'd be an established historic Football League club. They take up the sporting crowds, the local media and politicians are desperate to keep this a "rugby city" despite the majority of the population supporting a football club and they take up all of the local sponsorship. If they'd never existed, we'd have also taken up all of the local football support for decades and decades, and maybe C********m would've stayed a non-league club forever.

I've resigned myself to the fact we'll probably never play C********m again, so I'm not surprised younger fans don't realise about the rivalry. The only way I can ever see it happening is if C********m tumble down to the NLN/NLS and we get back up there.

(30-04-2024, 11:50 AM)MeadowClark Wrote:  I've resigned myself to the fact we'll probably never play C********m again, so I'm not surprised younger fans don't realise about the rivalry. The only way I can ever see it happening is if C********m tumble down to the NLN/NLS and we get back up there.
Never say never, it's happened to more established EFL clubs than them.

It was very much **** or bust in 15/16. Had we not gone straight back up the rumours were that we might have had to go part-time. We definitely put all of our eggs in the promotion basket.

Fortunately, for us, the gamble paid off.

(30-04-2024, 12:47 PM)Si Robin Wrote:  It was very much **** or bust in 15/16.  Had we not gone straight back up the rumours were that we might have had to go part-time.  We definitely put all of our eggs in the promotion basket.

Fortunately, for us, the gamble paid off.
Will be interesting to see if FGR do the same. Can't imagine their sugar daddy letting them go any lower. Hopefully once he leaves the scene they'll plummet back to the Hellenic League where their real rivals, Shortwood Utd are waiting for them.

(30-04-2024, 05:57 AM)charlie Wrote:  Absolutely no chance. Although to be fair they have the cricket festival.
I am jealous about that.

A few beer tents and some temporary seating. That could be anywhere. Anywhere except Gloucester because they refuse to play here. They even refuse to call themselves Gloucestershire.

(30-04-2024, 08:24 AM)Paul Wrote:  Only if you're into horse racing. Which I'm not. Gloucester has almost 2000 years of history. The other place was little more than a village until the 18th century. William Cobbett writing in 1830 got it right - nothing much seems to have changed:

By riding on about eight or nine miles farther, however, this wonder is a little diminished; for here we come to one of the devouring Wens; namely, C********m, which is what they call a "watering place"; that is to say, a place to which East India plunderers, West India floggers, English tax-gorgers, together with gluttons, drunkards, and debauchees of all descriptions, female as well as male, resort, at the suggestion of silently laughing quacks, in the hope of getting rid of the bodily consequences of their manifold sins and iniquities. When I enter a place like this, I always feel disposed to squeeze up my nose with my fingers. It is nonsense, to be sure; but I conceit that every two-legged creature that I see coming near me is about to cover me with the poisonous proceeds of its impurities. To places like this come all that is knavish and all that is foolish and all that is base; gamesters, pickpockets, and harlots; young wife-hunters in search of rich and ugly and old women, and young husband-hunters in search of rich and wrinkled or half-rotten men, the former resolutely bent, be the means what they may, to give the latter heirs to their lands and tenements.

There's more, but I think you get the picture...

when was that written? recently?

Tiger Roar is always your friend http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fixtures20232024.php

Comprehensive City press cutting archive http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/cuttings.php

(30-04-2024, 01:51 PM)Neil Wrote:  A few beer tents and some temporary seating. That could be anywhere. Anywhere except Gloucester because they refuse to play here. They even refuse to call themselves Gloucestershire.
Not even that soon if reports about the new ground are correct. If and when there is a move I think they've confirmed the festival would go.

(30-04-2024, 01:51 PM)Neil Wrote:  A few beer tents and some temporary seating. That could be anywhere. Anywhere except Gloucester because they refuse to play here. They even refuse to call themselves Gloucestershire.

when was that written? recently?
No, by a man with common sense in 1830. A man before his time. Of Gloucester he wrote Gloucester is a fine, clean, beautiful place. Thankfully the Tardis is a work of fiction and he can't be transported from 1830 to the present day.

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/retained-and-...-list-2024

16 contracted players roll over into next season, 12 more released. They must have a huge wage bill, I wonder what the average wage is among that lot?

Tiger Roar is always your friend http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/fixtures20232024.php

Comprehensive City press cutting archive http://www.tigerroar.co.uk/cuttings.php